Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Stephanie Campbell's Twenty Hour Drawing Proposal: My Travels

Stephanie Campbell
Drawing 411
02-20-2014
Twenty Hour Drawing Proposal: My Travels
            Incorporating my sense of place and perspective, I will draw the locations that I come across in my travels in my immediate life. I plan to highlight subjectively, by emphasizing the presence of certain aspects of that landscape and fading out the elements that I do not necessarily associate with. I will most likely be drawing from photos, some of which I may have already taken, but also some that I will initiatively go out and take in order to draw as reference. This will be an interesting experiment in terms of what I will want to draw from memory, and what the reference photo will help to reveal to me due to its objectivity.
            Enrique Martinez Celaya’s use of various mediums and atmospheric impression I feel he can present to the viewer, is a part of the installation experience that I enjoy in his work. I like the far-fetched correlations the figures have towards each other, and the tension that the various elements have on each other. These things are all coming from an interdisciplinary piece, though I really respect the energy it creates, and so I plan to invest in some of that.

            Elizabeth Murray’s use of color and line gives off a childish playfulness, and resemble maps, both of which are principles of my art. I find replicating my childhood places extremely satisfying, and am trying to fulfill this desire to grasp a fuller understanding of my life as it develops, by mapping out, or drawing the areas that have significance for me. The flatness and lack of any interesting texture or variation of color is still something that I do not find attractive in Murray’s work, and so I will stay away from that.

               Tara Donovan’s technique of accretion, repeating the same shape or piece over and over to create a new and dynamic piece that carries a little life is something that I may attempt to use. The repetition of a line or shape to forecast an image into existence in an illusion of space and weight, is something that I think I will be interested to try. I really enjoy the materials Donovan uses, too. Taking something as simple as a button is a little overwhelmingly simple, though it is able to fabricate an existence by multiplying itself into a form that buttons would never be thought to take.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment